Your ultimate guide to the world’s best overwater bungalows
Caribbean – Maldives – Bora Bora
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
A SELECTION OF OUR FAVORITE OVERWATER BUNGALOW RESORTS:
- Why We Like it: Maitai Polynesia is a charming little resort in the south of Bora Bora by Matira Point Beach, just below the InterContinental Le Moana. It offers the cheapest luxury overwater bungalow experience in Bora Bora. This might be possible because they seem to have pared back some of the more expensive, but maybe unnecessary for many people frills – things such as a swimming pool, private airport transfer to the resort (though there is private transfer from Vaitape, and you can get there easily, and cheaply, by public ferry from the airport) and an excess of choice in terms of restaurants, bars and other facilities. For a lot of people this is an easy trade off, especially READ MORE
- Why We Like it: Just a ten-minute shuttle boat ride from Motu Mute Airport, and fifteen minutes across the lagoon from the town of Vaitape, lies the little island of Tevairoa – the wondrous setting for the 4 Star Bora Bora Pearl Resort. The resort has a total of 80 accommodation units comprising overwater bungalows, beach villas and garden villas, but feels rather small and boutique-resort like. It also feels somewhat more traditionally Polynesian than other resorts around Bora Bora, in terms of architecture, style and general laid back atmosphere. It is family friendly, and has activities for children, but wouldn’t really define itself as such, maintaining well the tricky balance between keeping children content and offering the last word READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The family friendly Four Seasons Resort forms an exclusive enclave by the coral reefs to the north east of Bora Bora and offers overwater bungalows, and beach villas, that are spacious, sleek and very well equipped. Their style is more modernist than most and they have the feel of luxury design apartments where everything feels crisp, clean and new. All come with tremendous views over Mount Otemanu and the lagoon, the overwater bungalows particularly, and the resort itself is a pleasure to stroll around with plenty to do and see, and a cosy, friendly, atmosphere throughout. Though the vibe is, this being Bora Bora, generally one of romantic indulgence, The Four Seasons takes care of children READ MORE
- Why We Like it: Lily Beach Resort is a 5 Star all-inclusive with water villas on a stunning private island in southern Ari Atoll, Maldives. Their all-inclusive plan offers a generous array of quality services, with a range of free water sports activities and excursions and lots and lots of premium quality food and drink. It is a well-known resort and consistently popular; people return here year after year, so advance bookings are recommended. Water Villas & Other Accommodation: They have a choice of water villas, beach villas and lagoon villas at Pearl Beach. The typically romantic overwater villas come in two categories: their ‘Deluxe Water Villas’ have 1356 ft² of space including a private outdoor deck with a jacuzzi READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The tropical gardens of the InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa lie just five minutes from Tahiti Airport and not much more than ten from downtown Papeete. The super convenient location means it’s a place where many people get their very first experience of a classic Polynesian resort, and an overwater bungalow stay. It is a large, fairly busy resort and you’ll find it more lively, both day and night (it’s got a 24 hour bar for example), than any similar resort on the likes of Bora Bora and Moorea. The overwater bungalows section though is more quiet and peaceful, relatively speaking, and so you in some ways you can have a romantic getaway or honeymoon while READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The newest of only three overwater bungalow resorts in Mexico, the other two being the nearby Palafitos El Dorado Resort and the even more nearby Rosewood Mayakoba, Banyan Tree Mayakoba is another very much exclusive resort near Playa del Carmen. It wins consistently great reviews for its eco friendly principles, its choice setting, its luxury accommodation and facilities, which include a Greg Norman designed 18 hole golf course and an award winning spa, and gourmet food & drink. Their overwater bungalows are more European chalet-like than rustic Polynesian. The interiors are sleek, modern and plush but with plenty of some nice earthy, back to nature touches. They are set over two floors and offer a far READ MORE