No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Category: Best Overwater Bungalows for Honeymoons in 2023.
Overwater bungalows have cornered the luxury honeymoon market to the point that the two now seem synonymous with each other.
It is the ultimate romantic accommodation - and if there was ever a time to stay in one then on your honeymoon has to be it.
Welcome therefore to our choices for the best overwater bungalow resorts for a perfect honeymoon in 2023.
- Why We Like it: Maitai Polynesia is a charming little resort in the south of Bora Bora by Matira Point Beach, just below the InterContinental Le Moana. It offers the cheapest luxury overwater bungalow experience in Bora Bora. This might be possible because they seem to have pared back some of the more expensive, but maybe unnecessary for many people frills – things such as a swimming pool, private airport transfer to the resort (though there is private transfer from Vaitape, and you can get there easily, and cheaply, by public ferry from the airport) and an excess of choice in terms of restaurants, bars and other facilities. For a lot of people this is an easy trade off, especially READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The 5 Star celebrity haunt that is the Conrad Bora Bora Nui sits neatly in a private cove on Motu To’opua, a little islet southwest of the main island. The setting is beautiful – secluded and thoroughly romantic, and the resort really has an extra touch of class, even by Bora Bora’s high standards. It also boasts what are surely Bora Bora’s, and one of the world’s, finest overwater bungalows – their incredibly opulent Presidential Overwater Villa. Their hilltop Hina Spa has soothing treatments and tremendous panoramic views, there are four excellent dining options, a large infinity pool and pool bar, and some some lovely stretches of the purest of white sands. The Conrad is family READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The family friendly Four Seasons Resort forms an exclusive enclave by the coral reefs to the north east of Bora Bora and offers overwater bungalows, and beach villas, that are spacious, sleek and very well equipped. Their style is more modernist than most and they have the feel of luxury design apartments where everything feels crisp, clean and new. All come with tremendous views over Mount Otemanu and the lagoon, the overwater bungalows particularly, and the resort itself is a pleasure to stroll around with plenty to do and see, and a cosy, friendly, atmosphere throughout. Though the vibe is, this being Bora Bora, generally one of romantic indulgence, The Four Seasons takes care of children READ MORE
- Why We Like it: Just a ten-minute shuttle boat ride from Motu Mute Airport, and fifteen minutes across the lagoon from the town of Vaitape, lies the little island of Tevairoa – the wondrous setting for the 4 Star Bora Bora Pearl Resort. The resort has a total of 80 accommodation units comprising overwater bungalows, beach villas and garden villas, but feels rather small and boutique-resort like. It also feels somewhat more traditionally Polynesian than other resorts around Bora Bora, in terms of architecture, style and general laid back atmosphere. It is family friendly, and has activities for children, but wouldn’t really define itself as such, maintaining well the tricky balance between keeping children content and offering the last word READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The InterContinental Le Moana lies along Matira Point at the southern end of Bora Bora’s main island and is, as the name suggests, a sister hotel of the InterContinental Thalasso across the lagoon which has a greater range of facilities, all of which guests at this InterContinental can access via shuttle boat. It doesn’t have the same broad choice of accommodation as its sister hotel and many will consider the Thalasso branch, as it looks directly across the lagoon at the towering Mount Otemanu, to have a more scenic setting. Intercontinental Le Moana also has an extremely idyllic location though it must be said, nestling snugly as it does between the gorgeous white sands of Matira READ MORE
- Why We Like it: Stella Island Resort in Crete is a 5 Star luxury, adults-only resort with a tremendously good reputation and one which is also home to one of only two overwater bungalow accommodations in Europe (the other being at Palafitte Resort on Lake Neuchâtel, Switzerland). It occupies a private stretch of Crete’s north coast and offers, amongst other things, excellent spa facilities, some of the very best food on the island and the opportunity to enjoy many sports including tennis and water sports. Guests also consistently praise the staff at Stella Island. The resort has various deals for you to choose from: You can go B&B/ breakfast only, have breakfast and dinner included in the room rate or READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The newest of only three overwater bungalow resorts in Mexico, the other two being the nearby Palafitos El Dorado Resort and the even more nearby Rosewood Mayakoba, Banyan Tree Mayakoba is another very much exclusive resort near Playa del Carmen. It wins consistently great reviews for its eco friendly principles, its choice setting, its luxury accommodation and facilities, which include a Greg Norman designed 18 hole golf course and an award winning spa, and gourmet food & drink. Their overwater bungalows are more European chalet-like than rustic Polynesian. The interiors are sleek, modern and plush but with plenty of some nice earthy, back to nature touches. They are set over two floors and offer a far READ MORE
- Why We Like it: Anantara The Palm Resort Dubai is a fabulous 5 Star resort with 400 meters of private shoreline on Dubai’s world famous Palm Jumeirah. It has tremendous facilities, including a very opulent spa, and its accommodation is seen as among the very best in the city. Even better for the Anantara is that it is the only resort in Dubai with overwater bungalows. Overwater Bungalows & Other Accommodation: They have a great selection of luxury accommodation – the above mentioned overwater bungalows, or Over Water Villas as they describe them, being the star attraction (book early if at all possible). Being such a top class resort even their most ‘basic’ accommodation – the ‘Standard Rooms’ are neither READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The couples-only Sandals Royal Caribbean, near Montego Bay and just minutes from Sangster International Airport, was the very first overwater bungalow resort in Jamaica and indeed the first in the entire region. The concept was an immediate success and the Sandals company soon followed it with more bungalows at Sandals South Coast (also in Jamaica) and in their branch in St. Lucia. Sandals Royal Caribbean though was the groundbreaker, or well…water breaker, in this region and its standards, have been extremely high from the beginning. It is a high-end luxury, all-inclusive paradise with a private island (where the overwater bungalows are to be found), top-of-the-range facilities, superb food and drink, and consistently excellent service. It also READ MORE
- Why We Like it: Banana Island is an island paradise just off the coast of Doha which is home to Qatar’s only overwater bungalows, and one of only two overwater bungalow resorts in the Gulf region (the other being the Palm Resort in Dubai). All are three bedroom units and cover a full 2370 sq. feet/220 sq. meters, so for sheer scale alone they are very impressive. They are also nicely designed, sleek and very luxurious, as you might well expect from one of Qatar’s finest luxury resorts. Banana Island has a very highly rated spa and wellness center, commonly thought of as the country’s best, seven restaurants to choose from and a host of leisure and sports activities both READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The 5 Star, Sofitel Moorea Kia Ora Resort is a private enclave surrounded by crystal clear waters and pure white sands near to both Moorea Airport, and to the island’s main ferry dock which has regular ferries running the hour long journey to and from Tahiti. It is a beautiful place, and if you’re coming, as most people are, straight from busy Tahiti both it and the island of Moorea in general will offer the wow factor. The setting ticks all the boxes for a classic Polynesian island stay; balmy turquoise waters, powdery white sands (the beach alongside is consistently rated one of the best in Polynesia) and lush green tropical foliage, while the resort itself READ MORE
- Why We Like it: This adults-only, all-inclusive near Cancun is home to Palafitos, the very first overwater bungalows in Mexico (there are now still just three: the other two being the very nearby Rosewood Mayakoba & Banyan Tree Mayakoba) and consistently hits world-class standards for luxury all-inclusives in the Caribbean. It really is a tremendous resort – it has a fabulous location on Maroma Beach, Playa del Carmen – rated one of the Caribbean’s, and in fact the world’s, best beaches – the accommodation is wonderful across the board, their gourmet food and drink is of the highest quality, and the activities on offer are numerous. Overwater Bungalows: As mentioned, the Palafitos’ bungalows were the very first in Mexico and READ MORE
- Why We Like It: W Maldives is a sophisticated 5-star, private (heart-shaped!) island resort with cutting-edge design and facilities. It is a ‘Luxury Playground’ which receives its fair share of international celebs and all in all is a glamorous and fun place to hang out. Facilities include high-quality restaurants and bars, a sublime sauna & fitness center, and a water sports & dive center. The resort sits by what is considered the best house reef in the Maldives and you can admire a huge amount of sea life directly from your water villa: reef sharks, angel fish, stingrays, and glow-in-the-dark plankton, and jellyfish for example. Water Villas & Other Accommodation: Most of the accommodation units at W Maldives are overwater READ MORE
- Why We Like it: Veligandu Private Island, just twenty minutes by seaplane from Male Airport, is possibly the best value all-inclusive water villa resort in the Maldives. Though it lacks the full 5 Star Wow factor of Lily Beach Resort or Ozen Maadhoo, for what you are getting here you might expect the prices to be almost double what they are. As such it is extremely popular and sees return visitors year after year. Water Villas & Other Accommodation: You have two main room categories at Veligandu – Beach Villas and Water Villas, all of which are doubles with King size bed though you can order extra beds/cots for children. These are in turn sub-divided into standard and jacuzzi villas. READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The eco-friendly & fully off-grid Sol Bungalows is a tiny, very intimate resort with just two overwater bungalows on Bocas del Toro’s Isla Solarte, the least populated and most undisturbed of all Bocas’ main islands. Though relatively undisturbed the location is still extremely convenient, being just 5 minutes by water taxi from Bocas Town. Their brand-new overwater bungalows are sleek, modern, and comfortable – they boast all the features you’d expect from quality overwater accommodation in the Caribbean but at a more reasonable price. Overwater Bungalows: Those features include; traditional thatched roofs, glass floor viewing panels, nice furnished terraces with direct access to the water, overwater hammocks and outdoor showers. The bungalows are spacious too, covering READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The 5 Star, adults only Anatara Veli Resort has 67 chic overwater bungalows in a sublime setting just half an hour by speedboat from Mali’s International Airport. The location is more private and secluded than other water villa resorts in The Maldives, and is very much designed for romantic getaways. It is still though just a two-minute speedboat shuttle to the busier (& family-friendly) Anantara Dhigu Resort across the lagoon. There you’ll find a broad range of facilities and entertainment; restaurants, bars, shops, water sports etc. Antara Veli also has facilities of its own though with tennis courts, a fitness center, an outdoor spa and three very fine restaurants serving Japanese, Thai and international food at your READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The tropical gardens of the InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa lie just five minutes from Tahiti Airport and not much more than ten from downtown Papeete. The super convenient location means it’s a place where many people get their very first experience of a classic Polynesian resort, and an overwater bungalow stay. It is a large, fairly busy resort and you’ll find it more lively, both day and night (it’s got a 24 hour bar for example), than any similar resort on the likes of Bora Bora and Moorea. The overwater bungalows section though is more quiet and peaceful, relatively speaking, and so you in some ways you can have a romantic getaway or honeymoon while READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The 5 Star Pangkor Laut is a stunningly beautiful private island near Malaysia’s Straits of Malacca with pristine rainforest ringed by dreamy sand beaches and crystal clear waters. It is seen as one of Malaysia’s, and Asia’s, finest luxury resorts and as such attracts a sophisticated, Malaysian and international, clientele. You will not find any kind of unnecessary formality or stuffiness here though, the atmosphere is notably pleasant, friendly and relaxed. Its facilities really are top of the range – Pangkor Laut’s spa in particular has won countless awards and is consistently named among the world’s very best. Overwater Bungalows & Other Accommodation: Their accommodation is divided between four categories: Garden, Beach, Sea and Hill. The READ MORE
- Why We Like It: The fabulous, 5-Star Amanyara Turks & Caicos sits on a rocky shore overlooking the Caribbean and the pristine coral reefs of Point Marine National Park. It is also surrounded by a full 100 acres of private estate, mostly lush tropical forest, and feels beautifully peaceful and secluded, despite being just 20 minutes from Providenciales International Airport, which has direct flights from most major U.S. cities. The resort features Indonesian-inspired structures and villas, almost all built overwater or at the very least alongside water. But in this case, not over the sea as is the most typical for overwater bungalows, they overlook very placid and pristine, private ponds or pools. Overwater Bungalows & Other Accommodation: The accommodation READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The adults-only St. George’s Caye is a scenic private island off the coast of Belize City near the Caribbean’s largest, and the world’s second-largest, barrier reef. It offers adventure and excitement on the one hand (it is a popular vacation spot for divers for eg.) and peace and tranquility on the other (honeymooners come here too). The food is generally highly praised, with breakfast, lunch, and dinner included in the room rate, the service is great and the atmosphere is relaxed, warm, and friendly. It sells itself as a luxury resort but if you are indeed expecting luxury the accommodation, though charming and very comfortable, may be underwhelming. Overall though the resort, the island, and the READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The 5 Star, St. Regis Bora Bora was the setting for the 2009 comedy ‘Couple’s Retreat,’ starring Vince Vaughan, an extra publicity boost that such a confident, sophisticated resort really had very little need for. You can expect to very impressed with almost everything, even judging by Bora Bora’s high standards. Overwater Bungalows & Other Accommodation: The resort is spread out over 44 acres which includes a private lagoon and various beach areas. The accommodation is a mixture of overwater bungalows and beach villas, all of which are extremely spacious; the largest overwater bungalows and villas in Bora Bora in fact. The very smallest on offer at the St. Regis are 1550 ft² for example, with READ MORE
- Why We Like it: Lily Beach Resort is a 5 Star all-inclusive with water villas on a stunning private island in southern Ari Atoll, Maldives. Their all-inclusive plan offers a generous array of quality services, with a range of free water sports activities and excursions and lots and lots of premium quality food and drink. It is a well-known resort and consistently popular; people return here year after year, so advance bookings are recommended. Water Villas & Other Accommodation: They have a choice of water villas, beach villas and lagoon villas at Pearl Beach. The typically romantic overwater villas come in two categories: their ‘Deluxe Water Villas’ have 1356 ft² of space including a private outdoor deck with a jacuzzi READ MORE
- Why We Like it: One of only two overwater bungalow resorts in Jamaica (the other being Sandals Royal Caribbean), Sandals South Coast is a 5-star luxury, adults-only, all-inclusive resort which offers Epicurean indulgence in a dreamy Caribbean beach setting. The resort is large and the amount, and quality, of facilities and activities on offer is very impressive. The food is a particular attraction – guests have nine gourmet restaurants to choose from with food that spans the globe. Overwater Bungalows: They have a wide range of luxury accommodation to choose from, between rooms, suites, and over-water bungalows/villas, all offering varying levels of space, luxury, and privacy. Their 1,100 square feet over water villas are suitably plush and luxurious and come READ MORE
- Why We Like It: Sandals, fresh from their success with over-the-water accommodation in Jamaica, quickly turned their sights to St Lucia, and here at the all-inclusive, adults-only, Sandals Grande St. Lucian resort you have the same levels of luxury and service. Their overwater bungalows are a honeymoon favorite and with only nine of them, they are generally booked out well in advance. They come with glass floor panels that allow you to peer into the Caribbean just below your feet, tranquility soaking tubs, private patios, and over-water hammocks amongst other special features. They also have a 24-hour personal butler service and the service throughout the resort is top-notch – efficient and professional but also personable. Overwater Bungalows & Other Accommodation: READ MORE
- Why We Like it: The 5 Star, adults only Likuliku Lagoon is an eco-friendly island paradise off the coast of Western Fiji, and the first resort in the country to incorporate overwater bungalows. The setting, in a natural ocean lagoon surrounded by a coral reef marine sanctuary, is particularly enchanting. Conservation is a big part of the Likuliku story with the world’s last wild population (they were assumed to be extinct until 2010) of Fijian Crested Iguanas to be found in the resort’s on-land sanctuary. Educational, expert guided forest walks can be arranged. The resort offers relaxation, education, warm hospitality and wonderful food, and its overwater bungalows are romantic and dreamy. Overwater Bungalows & Other Accommodation: The aforementioned overwater bungalows, READ MORE
- Why We Like it: Punta Caracol is a boutique, eco-friendly resort in Bocas del Toro, along Panama’s Caribbean Coast. It has nine very picturesque bungalows over the water which have the aesthetics of old colonial jungle huts but with modern comforts. The setting is sublime – a deeply remote spot accessible only by boat and surrounded by 100 acres of the lodge’s very own rainforest reserve, 98% of which is left completely as nature intended. It is absolutely a place for relaxation and contemplation. The food is excellent and the staff are helpful and friendly. Overwater Bungalows & Other Accommodation: They have just nine bungalows in total, divided into three categories – Standard Suites, Luna Suites and a Master Suite. READ MORE