No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Spas have become in recent years an integral part of the luxury hotel experience in general, and much more especially in the kind of luxury tropical beach resorts which are home to overwater bungalows.
You can be assured all the resorts we recommend will have the best of everything and that includes their spa facilities. They, like everything else will tend to be very much of the luxury variety.
Many will also have some unusual, native to their land, treatments, therapies and ingredients that can add a touch of the exotic to a session, and you will in most cases also find other complimentary activities such as meditation, yoga and traditional healing.
Here then are our choices for the best overwater bungalows & water villa resorts with spa in 2021!
All of these fabulous places come with instant online booking & lowest price guaranteed via Booking.com.
- A strong candidate for the best luxury resort in Mauritius, the 5 Star Constance Le Prince Maurice, just an hour from Port Louis and its international airport, is a divine slice of paradise and one which boasts the country’s only overwater bungalows. There are just eleven in total though – eight junior suites and three particularly spacious and luxurious water villas – so be prepared to book well in advance. Though the height of luxury and beautifully styled they have just one drawback, that is that they sit over a lagoon fish sanctuary which, though it features much interesting sea life, means you are not allowed to swim just outside your door. Once that disappointment is overcome though these overwater bungalows leave very little else to complain about and the Constance Prince Maurice in general is a truly fantastic resort. It has excellent spa facilities and a whole host of activities can be enjoyed including water-sports and golf at not one but two different 18 hole championship golf courses. Though the resort mainly caters for romantic getaways, honeymoons etc. children can and do come here too, and the Prince Maurice Kids Club does a fine job looking after them. THE ACCOMMODATION: Constance Le Prince Maurice has 89 suites and villas spread over 150 acres of stunning beach, lagoon and lush tropical gardens. The overwater bungalows, as mentioned above, sit on the lagoon and are of two types – suites and villas. Both are beautifully designed and furnished in the traditional Pacific style and feel incredibly romantic. They only major difference between the suites and villas is their respective sizes. The suites come in at a respectable 753 square feet (70 m²) and have one double bedroom with a seating area, a lovely outdoor terrace plus some very swish bathrooms The villas though are over twice the size at 1,400 square feet (130 m² ). Along with a larger bedroom they also come with a separate lounge/living room plus dining space, and have a whirlpool bath/jacuzzi in the bathroom and a soak tub outside on the terrace. Beyond the overwaters the beachside accommodation at Constance Prince Maurice is equally impressive. Their READ MORE
- Stella Island Resort in Crete is a 5 Star luxury, adults-only resort with a tremendously good reputation, and one which is, quite excitingly, home to one of only two overwater bungalow accommodations in Europe. (The other being at Palafitte Resort on the, rather chilly, Lake Neuchâtel in Switzerland.) It occupies a private stretch of Crete’s north coast and offers, amongst other things, excellent spa facilities, some of the very best food on the island and the opportunity to enjoy many sports including tennis and water sports. Guests also consistently praise the staff at Stella Island. The resort has various deals for you to choose from: You can go B&B/ breakfast only, have breakfast and dinner included in the room rate or go all-inclusive. In terms of value the breakfast and dinner included option seems the best, but only if you’re not a big drinker – if you’ll be getting stuck into the cocktails every evening then go for the all-inclusive. Stella Island, though large, is far more romantic getaway than party place. There are many lovely bars, lounges and restaurants to choose from but they close relatively early. THE ACCOMMODATION: There are 89 rooms, bungalows and villas at Stella Island, and all are top of the range. It is luxury accommodation but not in any kind of garish way. All are elegant and stylish and exhibit more than a touch of boho chic. Some rooms, on the first floor, have balconies that overlook the huge central lagoon pool while the ground floor rooms allow direct access to it. Their 12 ‘Island Villas’ come with their own private pools, and are relatively good value compared to the rooms. The overwater bungalows come in two forms the first, referred to as ‘Bungalow with Shared Pool’ on the booking page, are relatively small but beautifully designed, furnished and fitted. They feel private, cosy and romantic, and come with a terrace allowing direct access to the lagoon pool, and overwater hammocks. The second though – listed as ‘Grand Overwater Bungalow with Outdoor Jacuzzi’ on the booking page, are far superior. They are spacious and airy with high ceilings and large terraces that also allow READ MORE
- Anantara The Palm Resort Dubai is a fabulous, 5 Star luxury resort spread over 400 meters of private shoreline on Dubai’s world famous Palm Jumeirah. It has fabulous facilities including a very opulent spa and its accommodation is seen as among the very best in the city. Even better for the Anantara is that it is the other hotel/resort in Dubai with overwater bungalows. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have a great selection of luxury accommodation – the above mentioned overwater bungalows, or Over Water Villas as they describe them, being the star attraction (book early if at all possible). Being such a top class resort even their most ‘basic’ accommodation – the ‘Standard Room’ is neither basic nor standard, they cover 38 square meters/409 square feet and have balconies with views over the lagoon. That being said though a relatively small step up in price can offer you more space and just that little bit of extra wow factor with the Premier and Deluxe Rooms. An extra jump in price allows you to choose between apartments and very classy beach villas. Their 18 overwater bungalows though are the main attraction at Anantara The Palm and are beautifully designed, like the whole resort with a S.E Asian influence. They stand out on the lagoon like mini Thai temples and are as striking inside as out with high vaulted ceilings and sleek furniture and fittings. They also all have that classic overwater bungalow feature – glass floors panels – to watch the underwater life, spacious outside terraces and very opulent bathrooms with huge bathtubs with a view. Nice and all as they are though, they do lack easy access to the water, something which ideally should be a standard feature of all overwater bungalows. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos, on the booking page here. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: Anantara The Palm Resort is a tremendous resort and the quality of the accommodation is equalled by the quality of its facilities. It has a very extensive, award winning spa and wellness center, the Anantara Balance. Here you can enjoy a huge amount of health and beauty READ MORE
- Sandals, fresh from their success with overwater bungalows in Jamaica, quickly turned their sights to St Lucia, and here at the all-inclusive, adults only, Sandals Grande St. Lucian resort you can expect the same high levels of luxury, sophistication and service. It is very much an opulent romantic getaway, being adults only and attracting a well heeled clientele, but the atmosphere is friendly, relaxed and rarely stuffy. Their overwater bungalows are a honeymoon favorite and with only nine of them they are booked out well in advance. They come with glass floor panels, tranquility soaking tubs, private patios and over-water hammocks, amongst other special features. They also have a 24 hour personal butler service and the service in general is top notch – efficient and professional but also relaxed and personable. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have an enormous range of accommodation at the resort, with the above mentioned overwater bungalows being the most popular. These have a spacious, luxurious feel with hardwood floors, vaulted ceilings, king-size beds with soft linens and plush pillows, smart TVs, sun decks, outdoor showers, swish bathrooms and 24 hour personal butler service. Many of the other choices well match, if not surpass, the style and sophistication of the overwaters though just without the novelty of having ocean being directly under your feet. The beachside suites in particular are extremely opulent, and very much worth considering if the overwaters are not free. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews and more photos, on the booking page here. Note: The overwater bungalows at Sandals St. Lucien are very sought after – Covid-19 notwithstanding, for the 2021 season you should really reserve your stay as soon as possible. Our partnership with Hotels.com allows you free cancellation on most bookings. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: Sandals Grande St. Lucian is a huge resort with 311 accommodation units, twelve restaurants and six bars including a British Pub and a swim-up pool bar. All of this is all-inclusive of course and the quality and variety of the food is impressive, as is the ever cheerful sand helpful service. There is also a mile of gorgeous sandy beach at your disposal, READ MORE
- Address: Five Islands Village
Antigua and BarbudaFirst opening its doors in May 2019, Royalton Antigua is an all inclusive resort that boasts Antigua’s very first, and still only, overwater bungalows. The resort promises opulence and luxury and has a choice setting on the clear, calm waters of Antigua’s Deep Bay, less than twenty minutes from St. John’s, and a half an hour from V. C. Bird International Airport. THE ACCOMMODATION: The accommodation choices are many, with of course the overwater bungalows taking pride of place (referred to as Bungalow – Water Front on the booking page here). They are all doubles with king size beds, lounge (with a sofa bed) & dining areas, and outdoor terraces overlooking, of course, the water. They are also beautifully designed in a sleek modernist style, and display an unashamed sense of luxury. Expect private infinity plunge pools, jacuzzis, glass floor viewing panels, private butlers and 24 hour room service as standard, as well as in-room aromatherapy, satellite TVs, top of the range music systems, complimentary IPTV movie selections, twice daily re-stocked minibars and to top it all a choice of pillows from the pillow menu. The other accommodation choices are a mixture of suites in different locations around the private beach, and all of them share the same sleek interiors and modern luxury features. They can all sleep up to four but are generally smaller than the overwater bungalows which have over 1,100 square feet (106 square meters) of space. Previous guests have complained that the walls in some of the suites can be thin. An issue that obviously though isn’t relevant to the overwater bungalows. Note: Children (under 13) are not allowed to stay in the overwater bungalows, hence we have placed The Royalton in the Adults Only category. In all the other accommodation though children are welcome. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews and more photos, on the booking page here. Note: The overwater bungalows at Royalton Antigua are incredibly sought after – for the 2021 season you should really reserve your stay as soon as possible. Our partnership with Booking.com allows you free cancellation on most bookings. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: The resort READ MORE
- One of only two overwater bungalow resorts in Jamaica (the other being Sandals Royal Caribbean), Sandals South Coast is a 5 star luxury, adults only, all inclusive resort which offers pure Epicurean indulgence in a gloriously isolated beach setting. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have a wide range of luxury accommodation to choose from, between rooms, suites and overwater bungalows, all offering varying levels of space, luxury and privacy. Their 1,100 square feet overwater bungalows (referred to as ‘Deluxe Bungalow with Sea View’ on the booking page) are suitably plush and luxurious, and come with outdoor sun decks with soaking tubs and overwater hammocks, internal glass floor panels, particularly nice, spa style bathrooms, 24 hour room service and an exclusive in-room dining and room service menu. PRICES: Check out all the details -prices, reviews and more photos, on the booking page here. Note: The overwater bungalows at Sandals South Coast are incredibly sought after – Covid-19 notwithstanding, for the 2021 season you should really reserve your stay as soon as possible. Our partnership with Hotels.com allows you free cancellation on most bookings. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: Sandals South Coast is very large indeed with different European themed sections, French Village, Italian Village, Dutch Village and Venetian Piazza. There is a lot going on around the resort though the overwater bungalow section is slightly away from it all and so very peaceful. You have nine gourmet restaurants to choose from which serve consistently excellent European, Asian and Caribbean cuisine, as well as eleven different bars with a range of musical, and other, entertainment, and a huge range of premium drinks. You can do some duty-free shopping at the collection of resort boutiques and luxury jewelers, browse art galleries or play sports such as beach volleyball, tennis, billiards, table tennis and shuffle board. There is a state of the art gym and fitness center here, and the tranquil oasis of the Red Lane Spa has, amongst other things, a beauty salon, a yoga-pilates studio, a steam room, plunge pools and several secluded outdoor relaxation areas. The all inclusive package grants guests access to a wide range of water based activities; water skiing, snorkeling, READ MORE
- The couples-only Sandals Royal Caribbean, very near Montego Bay & Sangster International Airport, was the very first overwater bungalow resort in Jamaica and indeed the entire Caribbean. The concept was an immediate success and the Sandals company soon followed it with overwater bungalows at Sandals South Coast (also in Jamaica) and in their branch in St. Lucia. Sandals Royal Caribbean though was the ground breaker, or well…water breaker, in this region and its standards have been extremely high from the beginning. It is a high end luxury, all inclusive private island paradise with top of the range facilities, superb food and drink and consistently excellent service. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have a great range of accommodation to choose from; hotel rooms, suites and overwater bungalows, offering varying levels of space and luxury to suit most budgets. Their beautifully designed overwater bungalows have set the standards high from the very beginning. They have a tangible sense of luxury, are sleek, modern and spacious (just over 1,100 square feet), and come with outdoor terraces, infinity plunge pools, glass floor panels, romantic spa style bathrooms with bathtubs, a wealth of modern facilities and 24 hour rooms service with an exclusive in-room dining menu. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos, on the booking page here. Note: The overwater bungalows at Sandals Royal Caribbean are incredibly sought after – Covid-19 notwithstanding, for the 2021 season you should really reserve your stay as soon as possible. Our partnership with Hotels.com allows you free cancellation on most bookings. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: You have a nice choice of food and drink outlets from casual eateries and lively bars to elegant fine dining restaurants, serving French, Thai, Caribbean sea-food and international cuisine. If that somehow isn’t enough you can also jump on the free shuttle to Sandal’s two other Montego Bay resorts where even more choice awaits, all of which is included in your all inclusive package. There are seven swimming pools at the resort, including two swim up bars, five jacuzzis and a small but utterly gorgeous stretch of private beach. There is live entertainment most evenings at various places around the READ MORE
- One of only two overwater bungalow resorts in Mexico, the other being the nearby Palafitos El Dorado Resort, Rosewood Mayakoba shares the same serene beach setting near Cancun, high quality accommodation and excellent service and facilities, in particular its award winning spa. THE ACCOMMODATION: The resort has 129 sleek and modern suites and villas of varying sizes from 780 sq. ft. to 1500 sq. ft, all of which come with an array of luxury facilities and the very finest interior design. Their overwater bungalows, or Deluxe Lagoon Suites as they are titled, may disappoint a little compared to those of neighboring Palafitos as they are not 100% over water and overlook the lagoon as opposed to the sea. That aside though, they have a sleek and classy modern design, and a feel of real luxury. Features include private plunge pools, spacious open plan bathrooms with bathtubs, indoor and outdoor showers, walk in closets and a separate lounge area with seating and dining space. Facilities include WiFi, Satellite TV, DVD player, iPod docks, Bose music systems and 24 hour room service. The bungalows are adults only, though the rest of the resort is family friendly, they have a maximum occupancy of two and feel very spacious indeed with 977 sq. ft. of interior space and 498 sq. ft. of private terrace outside which includes an infinity style plunge pool (that can be heated, rather unnecessarily perhaps). PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews and more photos, on the booking page here. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: Though the overwater bungalows at Rosewood Mayakoba, like in most places, are adults only, the resort itself is family friendly, there is in fact a kids club here, and children can be accommodated in the other suites and villas. There are a number of fantastic restaurants to choose from here; Caso del Lago serves Italian with a Mexican twist, Agave Azul mainly does Asian influenced seafood dishes, Punta Bonita is a Mexican bistro while the cool Aqui Mi Quedo serves Mexican and Caribbean street food, has a casual bar like atmosphere, and is adults only. La Fondita is a Mexico City style informal READ MORE
- The award winning, adults only, Palafitos Overwater Bungalows at El Dorado Maroma near Cancun were the very first overwater bungalows in Mexico (there are now still just two – the other being the very nearby Rosewood Mayakoba), and consistently hits world class standards for luxury, all inclusive resorts. It has a fabulous location on Maroma Beach, Playa del Carmen – rated one of the world’s best beaches, the gourmet food and drink is of the highest quality, there are numerous activities to enjoy, and the resort is intimate, romantic and at the same time fun. THE ACCOMMODATION: As mentioned, the Palafitos overwater bungalows were the very first in Mexico and come with all the features you would expect from such a pioneering resort – glass floor panels, jacuzzis, private infinity pools, outdoor showers and direct access to the crystal clear waters below your feet. There are two basic types; the Palafitos ‘Beachfront Bungalows’ are close the shore while their ‘Superior Bungalows’ are out in the open water and so are more peaceful and give more of a at one with the water feeling. Both are pretty much identical in every other way though and, covering nearly 600 square feet, they are modern internally and suitably luxurious, with extra large, terrifically comfortable double beds, a seating/dining area, sections of glass bottom floor, a jacuzzi, an infinity type plunge pool on the terrace over looking the water plus an outdoor shower. Other facilities include WiFi, cable TV, air con, iPod docks, mini bar, 24 hour room service and a private butler. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews and more photos – on the booking page here. Note: The overwater bungalows of Palafitos El Dorado are incredibly sought after – Covid-19 notwithstanding, for the 2021 season you should really book your stay as soon as possible. Our partnership with Booking.com allows you free cancellation on most bookings. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: El Dorado Maroma an all inclusive resort with a great emphasis on gourmet food and drink, with much of the ingredients coming fresh from their own 76,000 sq. ft. greenhouses. You have a great choice of restaurants as well READ MORE
- The Fiji Marriott, Momi Bay is an exclusive 5 Star resort near Nadi, and the Momi WW2 Gun Site, with a truly idyllic lagoon and ocean side setting. It also has an array of fantastic facilities, premium quality accommodation, including some top of the range overwater bungalows, and consistently cheerful, friendly service. THE ACCOMMODATION: The Marriott has a mixture of rooms at the main hotel building, all of which come with either a balcony or a patio, plus a mixture of bures (traditional Fijian style straw and wood huts) and overwater bungalows with private access to the water just below your feet. They come in various sizes with the largest, at over 800 square feet, being their ‘Royal Lagoon’ overwater bungalows. All the accommodation choices are 5 Star standard and have a modern, minimalist chic style. Facilities include cable TV, air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, USB chargers, music systems, laptop safes, tea & coffee making facilities and 24 hour room service. They all have particularly nice bathrooms too with stand-alone bath tubs, rainfall showers and a range of luxury toiletries. The hotel rooms may be some of the most plush on Fiji but a stay in one of their traditional Fijian, straw and wood bures is a whole different level of experience and certainly worth the extra. This also applies, even more so, to their very plush, airy overwater bungalows which have high vaulted ceilings, outdoor decks and private access to the pristine waters below. Note: The overwater bungalows are for adults/over 18s only. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos – on the booking page here. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: They have a great selection of high standard facilities including three swimming pools, two tennis courts, a 24 hour fitness center/gym and a day spa with spacious treatment rooms, plunge pools, a beauty therapy center and a hairdresser. Children will be well taken care of too at the Turtles Kids’ Club which has a host of activities on offer both educational and just for fun. It also has a playground and a children’s only swimming pool, and babysitting and child minding services are also available. The READ MORE
- The 5 Star, Sofitel Moorea La Ora Resort is a private enclave surrounded by crystal clear waters and pure white sands near to both Moorea Airport, and to the island’s main ferry dock which has regular ferries running the hour long journey to and from Tahiti. It is a beautiful place, and if you’re coming, as most people are, straight from Tahiti both it and the island of Moorea will really offer the wow factor. The setting ticks all the boxes for a classic Polynesian island stay; balmy turquoise waters, powdery white sands (the beach alongside is consistently rated one of the best in Polynesia) and lush green tropical foliage, while the resort itself is small, intimate and oozes romantic indulgence. Sofitel is family friendly but it doesn’t have much in the way of specific facilities for kids. In general though they will be well looked after by the helpful, cheerful staff. Baby sitting/child minding services are also available. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have a range of bungalows and villas, mainly overwater but with a few beach and garden villas too, ranging in size from 450 to 800 square feet. All are sleek and modern in style with lots of polished wood, soft lighting and pastel colored fabrics, though also with that classic, traditional Polynesian look externally. The overwater bungalows are particularly nice at the Sofitel Moorea and all come with outside terraces, giving direct access to the water, and glass floor viewing panels inside. They are, not surprisingly, the most popular choice and, though almost double the price of the cheapest, garden based bungalows, are worth the extra. You’ll find all the usual 5 Star hotel facilitİes at the Sofitel, there is a concierge service here and in general throughout the resort the service is impeccable. PRICES: Check out all the details -prices, reviews & more photos, on the booking page here. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: The resort has two acclaimed restaurants; Pure, which offers quality international and local dishes, both buffet and a la carte and has live entertainment on some evenings. It is also where their huge buffet breakfast is served in the morning. Then there is READ MORE
- The tropical gardens of the InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa lie just five minutes from Tahiti Airport and not much more than ten from downtown Papeete. The super convenient location means it’s a place where many people get their very first experience of a classic Polynesian resort, and an overwater bungalow stay. It is a large, fairly busy resort and you’ll find it more lively, both day and night (it’s got a 24 hour bar for example), than any similar resort on the likes of Bora Bora and Moorea. The overwater bungalows section though is more quiet and peaceful, relatively speaking, and so you in some ways you can have a romantic getaway or honeymoon while still being able to enjoy the buzz of a lively resort. Two negatives compared to similar resorts in Bora Bora (their sister hotel for example) are 1) that though you have lovely views across the sea to the island of Moorea, the immediate surroundings are not as beautiful and 2) that the overwater bungalows here skirt the shoreline meaning you don’t get quite as much of that floating out at sea feeling. You’ll find lots to do here with shops, fine restaurants, fun bars, a fabulous spa and plenty of water sports and other activities to pass the time with. That plus the fact that you’re so close to the capital city of Pape’ete means it’s almost impossible to get bored. THE ACCOMMODATION: The have a range of accommodation at the Intercontinental, mainly rooms at the main hotel building which come in various sizes and which have balconies with garden and sea views, but also overwater bungalows with outdoor terraces and access to the water. All the accommodation choices are nicely designed and decorated, displaying a nice, subtle fusion between modern and traditional Polynesian styling. It is a 5 Star resort and so you can also expect all the accommodation to have a luxurious feel, both in the quality of the fabrics and fittings, and in the array of modern facilities. The service here is top class also. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos, on the booking page here. READ MORE
- Lily Beach Resort is a 5 Star all inclusive with an absolutely stunning setting on a private island in southern Ari Atoll, Maldives. Their all inclusive plan offers a generous array of quality services, with a range of free water sports activities and excursions and lots and lots of premium quality food and drink. It is a well known resort and consistently popular; people return here year after year, so advance bookings are recommended. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have a choice of overwater villas, beach villas and lagoon villas at Pearl Beach. The typically romantic overwater villas are divided between ‘Deluxe Water Villas’ which have 1356 ft² of space including a private outdoor deck with a jacuzzi plunge pool, and the ‘Sunset Water Villas’ which are a step ahead with 1960 ft² to play with, a proportionally larger deck and larger pool, as well as a 24 hour personal butler service. All the overwater choices have a section of glass floor panels so you can gaze at the sea life below from the comfort of your bungalow. The Lagoon Villas are at the edge of the lagoon and cover just short of 1000 ft², are secluded and private and come with an outdoor bath on the terrace, while the Beach Villas have a nice location right on the beach with a private deck and about 730 ft² of space for the ‘standard’ villas and 1463 ft² for the two bedroom ‘family’ villas, which are effectively two interconnected standard villas. The style is modernist and fairly minimalist, with the emphasis being more on comfort than interior decor, and all the accommodation choices include luxury hotel standard facilities and features as standard; air-conditioning, WiFi, flat-screen TV & home theatre system, tea/coffee making facilities, minibar and safe etc. The bathrooms are all suitably plush too with rainfall showers and spa bathtubs. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos, on the booking page here. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: There are four restaurants and three bars at the resort and the quality of the food and drink is excellent. Many 5 Star all-inclusives let themselves down a little when it READ MORE
- Just a ten-minute shuttle boat ride from Motu Mute Airport, and fifteen minutes across the lagoon from the town of Vaitape, lies the little island of Tevairoa – the wondrous setting for the 4 Star Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort. The resort has a total of 80 accommodation units comprising overwater bungalows, beach villas and garden villas, but feels rather small and boutique-resort like. It also feels somewhat more traditionally Polynesian than other resorts around Bora Bora, in terms of architecture, style and general laid back atmosphere. It is family friendly, and has activities for children, but wouldn’t really define itself as such, maintaining well the tricky balance between keeping children content and offering the last word in romantic experience. THE ACCOMMODATION: You have a choice between garden suites, beachfront suites or classic overwater bungalows. The suites are nestled among tropical plants, have their own private pool and, being able to sleep up to five, are the most suitable for families. The beachfront suites have a private hot tub/jacuzzi and some lovely views across the sands but of course the overwater bungalows have that extra romantic feel as well as direct access to the water and the resort’s coral nurseries. All the accommodation is top luxury hotel standard, boasting all modern facilities, while the design and decor generally display even more Polynesian influence than other Bora Bora resorts with lots of sleek wood panelling and traditional art pieces. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos, on the booking page here. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: The dining and drinking choices are limited but of the highest quality. The Tevairoa Restaurant & Bar serves up top quality international food with Polynesian influences and has native music and dance performances on most evenings while the Miki Miki Bar & Restaurant serves up snacks and dishes throughout the day and has a great selection of drinks, from fancy cocktails to old ports and rums. At the Tavai Spa, nestled away in tropical foliage and surrounded by lily ponds, you can indulge yourself in all sorts of health and beauty treatments; Vichy body scrubs, traditional ‘Taurumi’ massages, hot stone READ MORE
- The 5 Star Conrad Bora Bora Nui is located in a private cove on Motu To’opua, a tiny island off the southwest end of Bora Bora’s mainland and faces out to the open ocean. The setting is secluded and romantic and the resort has its own, even more secluded and romantic, private island, Motu Tapu, which is accessible only to guests. Their hilltop Hina Spa has soothing treatments and tremendous panoramic views, there are four excellent dining options, a large infinity pool and pool bar, and some some lovely stretches of the purest of white sands. The Conrad is family friendly; it has its own Kid’s Club, but overall the atmosphere is one of romance and relaxed, indulgent tranquility. The one slight drawback with the Conrad is that the waters there at the ocean’s edge have not got quite the same dreamy calm as those around the sheltered lagoon where for example the Intercontinental, the St. Regis and the Four Seasons are located. That being said though there is something quite affecting about gazing out towards the almost infinite open ocean. THE ACCOMMODATION: They have a total of 114 accommodation units at the Conrad, with a choice between overwater, beach and garden. The Conrad, in its previous incarnation as a Hilton, was the first resort in Bora Bora to offer the now ubiquitous overwater bungalows and these are, of course, the most desired and as plush and opulent as you may imagine. They all offer lots of space too, with the smallest on offer covering around 1200 ft². They have sleek and stylish interiors, King size beds and wall to wall sliding doors opening out to a large deck where you have direct access to the sea, lounging and dining furniture and an outdoor shower. Some, the ‘Pool Villas’, also come with an infinity plunge pool and overwater catamaran style hammock nets to sink into. The Beach Villas though are also really quite gorgeous and compare well to the overwaters. Sitting on the beach, just feet from the water, they the same luxurious standards and also come with infinity style plunge pools as standard, overlooking the sand and the sea. READ MORE
- All-inclusive resorts can tend to fall short when it comes to true luxury but the Ozen Maadhoo is the Maldives’ finest example of how to get it right. It is a fabulous place: the setting is stunning, as is the accommodation, there is a generous supply of top quality food and drink and, if staying more than 4 nights, complimentary activities to enjoy too, from spa treatments to scuba diving. All that plus tremendously high levels of service make Ozen All Inclusive excellent value compared to other similar resorts in the Maldives. THE ACCOMMODATION: You have a choice of classic overwater bungalows and beach villas here, referred to on the booking page as ‘Wind Villas & Earth Villas’ all of which are very spacious, ranging in size from 85 m² to 285 m². They are all doubles, with King size bed and a sofa bed in the lounge area if needed, with the exception of the large ‘Earth Family Suite’, which has a master bedroom and one twin bedroom. The overwater bungalows, or wind villas as they call them here, are a classically romantic choice with direct access to the water and with uninterrupted views as far as the eye can see. They also all have standalone, ellipse shaped bath tubs which open up to the outside via sliding doors. The standard villas will not disappoint but the ‘Wind Villas with Pool’ are the pick of the bunch, having 112 m² of space and a nice infinity style plunge pool on the outside deck. The beachside villas may not have that but they all have a private pool as standard and across the accommodation choices the interior design and decor is crisp and smart with sleek furniture, bright fabrics and tasteful art pieces. Modern luxury hotel facilities are standard too with AC, WiFi, flat screen cable TV, Segafredo coffee machines and free mini bars that are generously restocked twice a day. The service is top quality at this resort and you will have room service, a private butler and concierge services throughout your stay. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos, on the booking page READ MORE
- The low key, 5 star resort of Le Méridien offers perhaps the best value around in terms of luxury overwater bungalows and villas in Bora Bora. It does not have the same show-stopping sense of opulence as some other nearby resorts; the St. Regis or The Four Seasons for example, which feature some really quite enormous accommodation, but though the largest overwater bungalows at the Le Méridien cover not much more than 540 ft², they are just as luxurious, stylish and well equipped. So if you feel having acres of extra space is not worth the extra premium price then Le Méridien is for you. One popular feature of most Bora Bora overwater bungalows are glass floor viewing panels which allow you to gaze directly at the colorful sea life in the waters below. Le Méridien gets extra points in this regard, boasting the largest glass floors of any resort in the whole of French Polynesia. Le Méridien is family friendly but has a relaxed, intimate atmosphere that is more suited to couples. You will also find it noticeably quieter than many of the other resorts, especially in the evenings, something which adds to the sense of a secret, romantic hideaway. THE ACCOMMODATION: Le Méridien doesn’t have the same breath of accommodation choices as some other resorts but what it has are classic overwater bungalows that are cosy and intimate, and blend traditional Polynesian design and decor with modern facilities and features, including the above mentioned large glass floor panels which cover most of the lounge areas. The resort also offers similarly pleasant beach villas and suites, all of which are, including the overwater bungalows, one double bedroom but most of which also have a sofa bed in the lounge area for extra guests if required. The outside spaces have seating and lounging furniture, as well as, in the case of the overwater bungalows, direct access to the water. King size beds are standard at Le Méridien and all of the accommodation is kitted out with modern necessities; AC, WiFi, mini bar, flat screen satellite TVs etc. Room service is 24 hours, there are also concierge and business services available, READ MORE
- The family friendly Four Seasons Resort forms an exclusive enclave by the coral reefs to the north east of Bora Bora and offers overwater bungalows, and beach villas, that are spacious, sleek and very well equipped. Their style is more modernist than most and they have the feel of luxury design apartments where everything feels crisp, clean and new. All come with tremendous views over Mount Otemanu and the lagoon, the overwater bungalows particularly, and the resort itself is a pleasure to stroll around with plenty to do and see, and a cosy, friendly, atmosphere throughout. Though the vibe is, this being Bora Bora, generally one of romantic indulgence, The Four Seasons takes care of children better than most with a kid’s club and plenty of organized activities for both youngsters and teens. THE ACCOMMODATION: Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora has one hundred over-water bungalows and seven beachfront villas to choose from, ranging in size from 1070 ft² to over 3200 ft², with a maximum occupancy of 6 for the larger units. All are extremely comfortable, spacious and beautifully styled with teak woods and pastel shaded soft furnishings. The outside spaces are expansive and well kitted out, with the overwater bungalows having private access to the water as well as outdoor showers, chaises lounges, circular daybeds and dining tables. All the overwaters have internal glass floor panels to watch the sea life in the lagoon below too and some also have plunge pools on the deck. You can expect King size beds as standard in all of the units as well as plasma screen satellite TVs, DVD players, coffee machines, mini fridges, music stations etc. in the lounge areas. All the bathrooms come with nice, large and deep, baths and with some opening out to the sea via sliding doors. Room service is 24 hours and the service throughout the resort, which also provides concierge and business services, is of the highest quality. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos, on the booking page here. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: You can enjoy some tremendous food at the Four Seasons, where you have a choice READ MORE
- The 5 Star, St Regis Bora Bora was the setting for the 2009 comedy ‘Couple’s Retreat’, starring Vince Vaughan, an extra publicity boost that such a fabulous resort really had, and still has, very little need for. It has long been very much a go to place for international celebrities and is, despite fierce competition, the ultimate luxury vacation venue. It is, to our mind, Bora Bora’s best overwater bungalow resort. THE ACCOMMODATION: The resort is spread out over 44 acres which includes a private lagoon and various beach areas. The accommodation is a mixture of overwater bungalows and beach villas, all of which are extremely spacious; the largest overwater bungalows and villas in Bora Bora in fact. The very smallest on offer at the St Regis are 1550 ft² for example, with the very largest being a quite magnificent 3960 ft². The design and decor are mostly traditional Polynesian; airy and with lots of wood. You will have a large bedroom(s) with a super comfortable King size bed, seating, closet space and a giant flat screen TV. The lounge areas have comfy sofas, another TV and a mini bar, and outside there is lots of deck space with lounging, seating and dining furniture, outdoor showers and, in the case of the overwater bungalows, private access to the water. The bathrooms are suitably luxurious, and large, too. There you have a rainfall shower, a deep bath to sink into and a choice of exotic bath salts and other pampering products. Another very nice feature is that all the overwater bungalows are equipped with glass floor panels in the hallway, living room and bathroom which allows some gorgeous glimpses into life under the water below. You have a private butler service at your disposal at the St Regis and one of the best concierge teams around. They are particularly adept at arranging grand romantic gestures, for honeymoons or otherwise, via their ‘Romantic Concierge’ service, and they organize weddings too with a bridal boutique also on the premises where you can rent wedding dresses, groom suits etc. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos, on the booking READ MORE
- The very lovely, and very intimate, strictly adults only, Sofitel Bora Bora has its own private island with crystal clear waters and coral gardens just two minutes boat ride from the southern end of the main Island, or a 30 minutes boat shuttle ride direct from Bora Bora Airport. The Sofitel has just 30 bungalows & villas and so is very much a boutique resort, and most certainly a place for peace, quiet and indulgent calm and contentment. Especially given that the entire island is child free – the only adults only overwater resort in Bora Bora. THE ACCOMMODATION: This intimate oasis is particularly geared towards couples and honeymooners and so all its accommodation choices are doubles. There are two types of villa on offer; twenty classic overwater bungalows out on the lagoon and ten more private jungle lodges surrounded by trees and overlooking the water. Both are roughly the same size, and at around 370 ft² are relatively small. They all come with King size bed as standard though, as well as a living space, an outdoor terrace/sun lounge and private access to the water. Expect all standard luxury hotel mod cons here, and excellent room service. Concierge services are available too, and happy to oblige all sorts of requests. PRICES: Check out all the details – prices, reviews & more photos, on the booking page here. FACILITIES & THINGS TO DO: You can enjoy gourmet Polynesian and French food, as well as quality French wines (it has an extensive wine cellar), at the Manu Tuki Restaurant. It has a very lovely setting, with views over the peaceful lagoon, and of the towering Mount Otemanu away in the distance. Moving on from there you can enjoy some beautifully crafted cocktails, and other drinks at the cosy Mako Bar, which has similarly beautiful views from its wooden terrace and also serves food and snacks throughout the day. If you want to make any day or evening extra special all sorts of romantic extras are available, such as gourmet dining on the beach or sunset champagne evenings with traditional Polynesian dance shows. Private, bespoke arrangements can also be made, for the READ MORE
- There may be a lot of competition in terms of luxury retreats in Bora Bora and indeed in the broader region of French Polynesia, but the 5 Star InterContinental Thalasso Bora Bora is really quite a place. It is located on its own private island, a 20 minute boat ride from Bora Bora Motu Mute Airport, and it is hard to overemphasize the extraordinary setting, with the craggy peak of Mount Otemanu towering above and the most beautifully clear turquoise waters you could ever imagine swaying gently all around. It also has consistently high levels of service, great facilities and a laudable commitment to eco-friendly and sustainability principles, all of which make it stand out somewhat from the rest and lend the place an extra exclusive feel. It is very much a once in a lifetime vacation venue, and smoothly manages to be both family friendly and ideal for honeymoons. THE ACCOMMODATION: The overwater bungalows and villas are in a choice position to enjoy the setting with their boardwalk jutting out right in the middle of the bay. They are also all exceptionally spacious; the smallest cover a minimum of 1020 ft² while the largest, the ‘Marlon Brando Suite’, comes in at a whopping 3465 ft². As you will see there is a great range of accommodation to choose from, most, but not all, of which are overwater. Of those that are overwater they come with glass floor coffee tables from where you can peer down into the coral reef and see all manner of exotic creatures. Many also have their own private, on deck, infinity swimming pools. The design and interior decoration are a pleasing mix of modern and traditional Polynesian and they have all the modern facilities and comforts you would expect from a luxury hotel: air-con, WiFi, cable TV, music system, refrigerator, coffee maker, mini bar, some lovely bathrooms with bathtubs and rainfall showers, as well as plenty of lounging and dining furniture both inside and out. Room service is 24 hours and you can expect the absolute best in service throughout the resort which also has a concierge team. As mentioned above InterContinental Thalasso makes great READ MORE
- The 5 Star, adults only and particularly suitable for honeymoons, Anatara Veli Resort has 67 chic overwater bungalows in a sublime setting just half an hour by speedboat from Velana International Airport, Maldives. The location is more private and secluded than other overwater bungalows in the area and is very much designed for romantic getaways. It is still though just a two minute speedboat shuttle to the busier (& family friendly) Anantara Dhigu Resort across the lagoon. There you’ll find a broad range of facilities and entertainment; restaurants, bars, shops, water sports etc. Antara Veli also has facilities of its own though with tennis courts, a fitness center, an outdoor spa and three very fine restaurants serving Japanese, Thai and international food at your doorstep. The service here is consistently impeccable, and you are allowed as much, or as little, interaction with staff and other guests as you would like. THE ACCOMMODATION: You can choose between a classic overwater bungalow on the lagoon or an ocean bungalow set on a secluded cliff edge overlooking the ocean. As mentioned this is an adult’s only resort, all the accommodation choices are doubles and all come with a suitably grand King size bed. To sum up though, your choices among the overwater bungalows are: ‘standard’ 62 m² units with an outdoor sun deck and direct access to the lagoon. Deluxe units which have about 30 m² of extra space plus some very special open-air bathrooms with terrazzo bathtubs overlooking the lagoon. The ‘superior’ overwater bungalows go a step further with a plunge pool overlooking the lagoon and a full 125 m² of space over two floors. Finally there are the ‘Ocean Bungalows’, not overwater bungalows per se but their position on the edge of a small, secluded cliff directly over the ocean grants them a similar feel. They are broadly similar too in layout, and in size, to the superior overwater bungalows, also having that lovely plunge pool, but this time overlooking the Indian Ocean. All the accommodation choices are B&B and have a pleasing array of modern facilities; air-con, WiFi, cable TV, music system, refrigerator, coffee maker, mini bar (with private wine READ MORE