Overwater Bungalows in Mexico - An Overview.
Mexico has only three resorts with overwater bungalows/water villas - Palafitos El Dorado, Rosewood Mayakoba and Banyan Tree Mayakoba.
So not a lot to choose from and strangely enough all three overwater bungalow resorts are just a couple of miles away from each other in the upmarket resort town of Playa del Carmen, equidistance between Tulum and Cancun.
All are also really fabulous 5 Star resorts though and thus very suited to play host to Mexico's only overwater bungalows.
It's difficult for us to judge which resort is the best overall as all have extremely high standards, and the overwater bungalows equally so.
We did though rather prefer the Palafitos overwater bungalows only because they strayed less from the traditional Pacific vibe that we have grown to like.
Others though will prefer the sleek modernism of the Rosewood’s or the Banyan Tree’s overwater bungalows.
It’s a tough call, but I guess you could have worse things to do today than having to choose between three of The Mayan Riviera's, and Mexico’s, classiest resorts!
Rosewood & Banyan Tree Mayakoba’s line up alongside the edge of a lagoon, while the Palafitos overwater bungalows are just off shore.
Palafitos El Dorado is all inclusive and the entire resort is adults only. Rosewood Mayakoba is a family friendly resort but their overwater bungalows are strictly adults only. Banyan Tree Mayakoba is family friendly, both the resort in general and the overwater bungalows.
Check out our full reviews below plus lots of photos, booking information etc. - all you need to know.
Updated: December 3, 2022
Countries/Islands in the Caribbean with Overwater Bungalows:
Overwater bungalows can be found in seven different countries around the Caribbean: Antigua, Aruba, Belize, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama & St. Lucia.
All of them within easy reach of the US, with direct flights from most major cities.
There are only a handful in each of these countries though you must be warned. This is because, compared to the atolls of the Maldives or Bora Bora, the conditions required for overwater bungalows – shallow, sheltered, consistently calm waters – are much more difficult to come by in the Caribbean.
But…though few in number, you have still quite a few great options – and we at Dreamoverwater have reviewed them all for you.
These are all top class resorts, many indeed are 5 Star, and you can expect very high standards of accommodation, facilities and service.
Most will have prices to match their undoubted scarcity value too unfortunately, but there are some cheaper overwater bungalows in the Caribbean too, especially in Panama – check them out below.
Haven’t got the time for in-depth reviews right now?
Then here’s a quick look at our top choices:
Best Luxury Overwater Bungalows in the Caribbean:
- El Dorado Maroma Palafitos, Mexico: Big, bold, very impressive Polynesian style bungalows out at sea near Cancun.
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba, Mexico: Long one of Mexico’s finest resorts, they have now added split-level overwater bungalows to their accommodation choices.
- Rosewood Mayakoba, Mexico: Classy, sleek modern style bungalows perched over a lagoon.
- Sandals South Coast, Jamaica: Premium all inclusive resort with romantic, beautifully kitted out overwater bungalows.
- Sandals Royal Caribbean, Jamaica: Very similar to Sandal’s South Coast, but in a more convenient location near Sangster International Airport.
- Sandals St. Lucian, St. Lucia: St. Lucia’s only overwater bungalows are the most in demand accommodation at this 5 Star all inclusive.
Best Cheap Overwater Bungalows in the Caribbean:
No listings were found matching your selection. Something missing? Why not add a listing?.